The fall meeting of the Kentucky State Beekeepers Association (KSBA) will be Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017 at the Christian County Cooperative Extension office (2850 Pembroke Road, Hopkinsville, KY). Registration will begin at 8:00 a.m. CT and the meeting will wrap up around 3:00 p.m. A tentative agenda can be found below. The fall meeting is free to all KSBA members.
On Friday evening, Nov. 3, there will be a KSBA board meeting. The board meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. CT at the Hopkinsville Comfort Suites (Comfort Suites, 210 Harvey Way, Hopkinsville, KY 42240). The KSBA board is made up of the KSAB officers and a representative from each local association. All local associations are asked to send a representative. A list of topics to be discussed during the board meeting can be found below.
A block of rooms is available at the Comfort Suites for a discounted rate of $79 plus tax if booked by Oct. 27. The rooms will be available beginning Friday, Nov. 3. When booking, specify you are with the KSBA group to receive the discount. You can contact them at (270) 985-1101, extension 0.
In addition, KSBA members are invited to bring a new or used beekeeping book to donate to the new Jim Hazelrigg Memorial Library for members of the Pennyrile Beekeepers Association. Steve Buchweitz, president of the Pennyrile Beekeepers Association, shared that they are establishing a beekeeping library for its members in honor of Jim Hazelrigg who passed away in January. Jim was a long-time member of the Pennyrile Beekeepers Association and KSBA. He was the president of KSBA in 2011 and the KSBA treasurer for many years. In 2016, he was named the KSBA Beekeeper of the Year. Any KSBA members wishing to donate a beekeeping book in memory of Jim, can bring the book to the fall meeting.
Topics to be discussed at KSBA board meeting (Friday, Nov. 3)
- 2018 KSBA budget
- New officers
- 2018 speaking calendar
Tentative KSBA fall meeting agenda (Saturday, Nov. 4)
- 8:00 – 9:00: Registration
- 9:00 – 9:30: Welcome, KSBA President Rick Sutton
- 9:30 – 10:00: KDA Pollinator Protection software program demonstration, Dr. Tammy Potter
- 10:00 – 11:00: Honey Typing: How does it work, and what are our bees eating?, Dr. Jen O’Keefe
- 11:00 – 12:00: Honey discussion, KSBA President Rick Sutton
- 12:00 – 1:30: Lunch – provided
- 1:30 – 2:00: Ag Census 2017, David Knopf, National Agricultural Statistics Service Regional Director
- 2:00 – 3:00: Budget approval, officer elections, 2018 meeting schedule
- 3:00: Door prizes and adjournment